How to Dye a Wig?
If you are not ready for a dramatic change in your life and appearance, but really want to change something, we know a solution. The simplest and, at the same time, the most affordable way is to change your hairstyle. You may do it not for real, but for a while. You can grow a strand of hair, wear a wig, or attach a hairpiece. You may even try to dye a wig and impress your friends with a completely different shade of your hairstyle. Let’s talk about the main rules of dyeing wigs.
Things to Remember when Dyeing a Synthetic Wig
Visually you can hardly distinguish artificial hair from natural hair. That’s why the owners of wigs often mistakenly think that care of such a wig should be the same as natural hair care. However, it should not be forgotten that the artificial wig is made of the finest threads of acrylic, polyamide or vinyl. How to dye a synthetic wig if the usual hair dye can damage these materials?
There Are Several Ways to Dye Synthetic Wigs
A synthetic wig structure is different from natural hair, so the usual dye compositions can destroy it. Aggressive components affect the fibers, causing them to become tangled or fall out completely. This applies to tonics, henna and tint balms. Correct wig coloring and care will prolong its durability and.
Dyeing procedure is quite simple, you will not need any special skills. Buy multiple markers or markers of the right color and carefully, line by line, paint the strands. Wait for the color to catch well and gently brush the wig.
You can use ink for wig dyeing. But you should use it with utmost care as the ink fades and leaves stains. So you need to keep the dyed wig away from water.
Dyeing of synthetic locks can be carried out with the help of batik paint. As a rule, it is applied to the fabric, but can also be used for hair. It gives an even color, but it is necessary to paint quickly and evenly, otherwise, there will be a “game” of shades.
How to Dye a Synthetic Wig?
There are several methods to change the shade of your synthetic wig:
- Water-resistant marker. Using a marker, it is very convenient to paint over strands of synthetic hair, you can also do the highlighting. After using the marker, the paint base does not wash off and looks attractive. You should prepare for a lengthy procedure when a marker of a suitable color tone is gradually applied to each strand, after which the curls are dried and combed. The marker is ideal for coloring a small number of strands or for a wig with short curls.
- Powder or liquid coloring base designed for dyeing fur, synthetics, plastics, foam rubber. A great tool helps you choose the right color shade, you can also combine a few colors. When using this coloring method, it is important to carefully read the instructions for use.
- Paint for drawing on fabric (batik). To give the necessary color shade to a synthetic wig, it is necessary to dissolve 1 bottle of a coloring base in 1 liter of water. Then place the wig in the solution and leave it for 3 days. After this, the artificial curls need to dry thoroughly. Please the wig in a dry and well-ventilated room for 1 day. The procedure ends with combing the strands.
- Another unconventional material for dyeing synthetic hair is ink. This method of coloring is suitable for those who want to achieve the most saturated color. The only disadvantage is that the shade disappears quickly, and ink spots can remain on all clothes and things that the strands touch. In order to dye your wig with ink, you need to choose the right shade, put on thick rubber gloves and, with a cotton swab, process each lock slowly and very carefully. Having achieved the desired tone, the hair is wiped and thoroughly combed.
Acrylic Paints for Wig Coloring
It is a widely known and fairly simple method. The structure of synthetic wigs allows you to achieve a good and lasting tone with acrylic coloring. So if all the previous methods seem too time-consuming, then you can go the easier way. A quick and modern approach to dye synthetic wig is to use a spray can with acrylic paints.
The process is so simple that even a teenage girl can handle it. By the way, it is worth noting that the same coloring method is also used on dolls. Since the artificial hair and wig of some Barbie are not very different, you can safely work with this material. The tint is saturated and very persistent. The paint does not leave stains.
You should use high-quality acrylic paints. You can buy them on specialized sites or in stores for artists. And to simplify the application process, you need to choose a tool in the cans. The wig dyeing process is extremely easy. The curls are simply laid out on a newspaper, the can is pre-shaken, after which the paint is neatly sprayed onto the locks.
As in other cases, freshly dyed hair must be thoroughly dried for at least three hours. After that, colored locks just need to be carefully combed.
Wig Care Tips
- A wig can only be washed by hand, it is strictly prohibited to wash it in a washing machine;
- It is advisable to use liquid soap or neutral shampoos for wig cleaning;
- After thorough rinsing, the wig must be dried on a stand with a terry towel.
- Before washing, the wig must be thoroughly, but carefully combed;
- Avoid rubbing of synthetic curls, they should be washed gently to prevent strands from tangling;
- During combing, drying, and styling, the wig should be fixed to the stand.
Synthetic wigs do not tolerate twisting, drying with a hairdryer, electric hair tongs and other devices. These appliances destroy the structure of the locks, as a result of which they will lose their original appearance. You should apply a special conditioner for styling and giving a beautiful natural shine to a wet wig.
Read Next: How to Dye Synthetic hair? Practical Guide