How to Get Slime out of Carpet?
Slime is a pretty popular toy among modern children. But their mothers think differently as they often have a lot of trouble with it. It easily sticks to clothes and other things. Though, it is quite difficult to get slime out of carpet. But there is a solution.
It is necessary to use some special means. You can try to use alternative methods and products, or you can use special cleaning products. We will tell you in more detail on how to remove slime from carpet.
How to Get Slime of Carpet after it Dries?
If you did not discover slime immediately, and it has already managed to dry, you will have to work hard. Take a knife or something similar and try to scrape off the dried particles. Clean the surface with a vacuum cleaner to remove dried particles.
If mechanical cleaning and folk methods did not help you, you should use special powders for dry cleaning. You can purchase them in specialized stores. If this option does not suit you for some reason, you can contact the professionals. This does not mean that you have to pull your soiled carpet to a dry cleaning service. You can use the dry cleaning service at home. In this case, specialists will treat the spot and the result will be appropriate.
General Rules to Remove Slime from Carpet
There are some secrets to make cleaning more efficient.
- Try to clean the stain while it is fresh. Use a dry cloth or paper tissue to remove the soft slime.
- Do not rub the material too hard, especially against the pile. The fibers will be damaged.
- At first test household chemicals or home remedies in a small area.
- Do not clean silk, wool, half-woolen rugs with hard brushes and liquids. It will be more appropriate to choose a powder.
- Do not use too much water as there is a risk of fungus or mold.
- Light fabrics should not be cleaned with colored cleaners. And avoid soda, lemon juice, and other substances that can bleach for dark coatings. You also need to be careful with prints and bright fabrics, you may have to buy household chemicals for colored items.
Folk Remedies for Cleaning Slime
Many household things can help you get slime off carpet. They are affordable and easy to use.
- Salt, lemon juice, and alcohol. To prepare the cleaning product, you need a pinch of sea salt, 1 tsp. of ammonia and juice of 1 lemon. Mix the components. Rub this paste into the carpet for 2-3 minutes. with a brush or a piece of white cloth. If the trace of slime is old, leave the paste on the carpet for 15 minutes, then continue to rub for another 3 minutes. Remove slime and cleaner with a wet sponge.
- Laundry soap. It is an effective way to get slime out of carpet. Soap can cope even with old stains without damaging the pile. Soak the affected area with clean water. Take a soap bar and rub it on the carpet surface until you get a thick foam and leave it for half an hour. Then the brush will help remove the remaining slime. Wash off the soap with a damp sponge.
- Dishwashing liquid. It is the most popular method to cope with slime in carpet. There is a dishwashing gel in every home. The product contains surfactants that can fight any pollution. Lightly moisten the contaminated area on the carpet and apply the gel on it. Leave it for 2-3 hours. Rub the stain hard with a brush. Repeat the procedure if necessary. Clean the rug from the particles of slime and soap foam with a sponge.
How to get rid of slime with first aid kit supplies
- Ethanol. You can buy alcohol at the pharmacy. Generously apply it over the stain. Leave the product for half an hour. When the particles of the slime soften, remove them with a sharp object or cloth.
- Hydrogen peroxide. This option is suitable for light delicate coatings.Do not use it for dark rugs: peroxide has some bleaching action and may leave a stain. Dip a cotton pad into the peroxide and rub the contaminated area with it. Brush the carpet thoroughly, then rinse it with a sponge or remove the particles of slime with a damp cloth.
|Type||Stain — Application Time||Type of Fabrics|
|Ethanol||10-15 minutes||Only suitable for linen, cotton and knitwear|
|Dishwashing liquid||1-2 hours||Any|
|Laundry soap||30-60 minutes||Any|
|Acidic solution: a glass of water, one teaspoon of ammonia and lemon juice, a tablespoon of sea salt||15 minutes||The product can ruin your clothes made of wool and delicate materials: silk, viscose, microfiber. Suitable only for light-colored materials|
|Distilled White Wine Vinegar, Apple Vinegar||20 minutes||Only for light-colored cotton and polyester|
|Hydrogen peroxide||5-20 minutes||Any exept silk|
|Runway RW-40 greasing, kerosene, gasoline||5-10 minutes||Only suitable for durable cotton clothing such as jeans or a sweater|
|Vanish OxiAction||30 minutes||Any|
Some unusual but easy to do tips
- Petrol. This method should be used with great care since oil products can leave greasy stains on the carpet. But if the slime trace is palpable and cannot be removed with gentle means, try gasoline. Take a cotton pad or cloth and dip it into the product. Rub the stained area thoroughly. Continue processing until the slime particles are softened enough to be easily removed from the coating. Rinse the fabric thoroughly after processing.
- Acetone. This solvent is very efficient for slime stain. It is the most suitable way for fleecy surfaces. Especially if you worry about how to remove dried slime from carpet. The processing method is similar to the previous one. Dip a cotton pad in acetone and apply the product to the stain. Continue rubbing until the slime particles fall apart. Rinse the carpet thoroughly.
- Vinegar. The acid does an excellent job with slime particles. But the product is suitable for light coatings. It is better to take apple cider vinegar as it has more gentle action. Apply vinegar in a dirty place. Rub with a brush to clean the pile of slime. Usually, it works well. Finally, remove the residue with a wet cloth.
- Hair Mask. Another effective way to remove slime from carpet. The mask is applied to the contaminated area and left for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the mask and particles of the slime with a wet sponge.
How to remove stains from slime with the baking soda or starch?
- Soda or salt. These substances will also help with slime removal from carpet. Mix soda or salt and add some water until you make some slurry. Put it on the stain and leave it for half an hour to make slime softer. Take a brush and scratch the surface of the carpet. When the issue is solved, rinse off any remaining soda or salt with water.
- Starch or baby powder. The product will help get rid of dried particles of slime. Starch envelops them, after which the dirt is easily removed with a damp cloth. Pour starch on the affected area and leave for a couple of hours. Then carefully remove the dried particles. Many try to replace starch with flour, but this is not an option. Flour quickly soaks and creates a sticky substance that further pollutes the coating.