How to Store Cucumbers?
The best approach is to store them in cool places (in the fridge, pantry or basement). It is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of these vegetables, which require specific storage conditions.
It is known that 95% of cucumber composition is water. Over time it evaporates, and it significantly affects the quality of the vegetables. They are afraid of temperature fluctuations. High humidity or excessive dryness of the air also affect the shelf life of these vegetables. Depending on certain factors, cucumbers can start rotting outside and inside, or they may dry out and shrink.
How to Сhoose Сucumbers?
Salad cucumbers, with thin skin and juicy pulp, should be eaten immediately since they are not suitable for long-term storage. How to store fresh cucumbers for a longer period? It is vital to pay attention to the following points when choosing vegetables:
- Size. It is advisable to choose fruits of small size, up to 10-12 cm in length. Besides, select thin or medium vegetables.
- Appearance. The peel should be free of visible damage, of a rich dark green color and sharp bubbles.
- The pulp. If you want to keep cucumbers crisp, choose vegetables with thick flesh and small seeds inside. Large outgrown cucumbers get spoiled very quickly.
- Stem. It is important to choose a cucumber with a stem, then the flesh of the vegetable will be securely protected on all sides from the penetration of rotting bacteria, and such vegetable is stored longer.
Cucumber Storage Time at Different Temperatures
Under different conditions, cucumbers can be sustained for different periods of time. So, at different temperatures, vegetables will retain their taste and appearance:
- At +8 ° C cucumbers will stay fresh for 1 week;
- At the temperature from +4 to 0 ° C, shelf life varies from 2 weeks to 1 month;
- Cucumbers will stay crisp for 1-2 months at -2 to -6 ° C;
- At the temperature from -8 to -18 ° C, cucumbers can be stored for up to 12 months.
Best Way to Store Cucumbers Indoors
How to keep cucumbers fresh without a refrigerator? You can save vegetables in the apartment and in the basement:
- Store cucumbers in a box. With this method, you can maintain the freshness of vegetables for 2 -3 days. A suitable container for storage will be a plastic container, a cardboard box, a wooden box, a paper bag. The optimum temperature is within 10-15 degrees above zero, humidity should be about 90-95%. If the temperature is reduced to 6 degrees, it will extend the shelf life of vegetables up to 10 days.
- In a damp cloth. If the vegetables are wrapped in a damp cloth and put in a cool place with a temperature of 6-7 degrees, it will allow them to retain their appearance, freshness, and taste for up to 7 days. This method is also suitable if you need to transport food in the summer.
Do Cucumbers Have to Be Refrigerated?
You can easily refrigerate cucumbers in one of the following ways:
- In the vegetable compartment. This storage method does not require any preparation. The shelf life of these vegetables is about 3 days, storing cucumbers in the fridge you prolong it to 7 days. It is not recommended to wash vegetables before refrigerating. It will cause them to deteriorate quickly.
- In a plastic bag. Vegetables should be put in a plastic bag and covered with gauze on top. The top of the package should remain open. Cucumbers will retain their freshness for 10 days.
- In the paper. Each vegetable should be wrapped with a paper towel, put in a plastic bag and placed in the refrigerator. This method of cucumber storage will preserve the appearance and taste of vegetables for 14 days.
- In the water. Vegetables are placed in a container of water so that it covers their tips by 2 cm. Then the container should be placed in the vegetable compartment. You should change the water every day. As the cucumbers lose moisture, they will compensate for it by absorbing water. For this storage variant, fruits with dark green dense skin are best suited. This way will be keeping cucumbers fresh for about one month.
How to Store Pickling Cucumbers?
Salted cucumbers are one of the most popular vegetable preservations. But often housewives wonder what are the secrets of storing pickling cucumbers. There are several simple ways to prolong their shelf life:
- after cooking, place the cucumbers in a cool place;
- use cold water to fill the product;
- do not cut the tips of the cucumbers, but in this case, it will take longer for them to become salty;
- use clean containers for pickling;
- do not touch cucumbers with the hands. It will help to avoid extra bacteria;
- separate cucumbers by size, larger vegetables need more time to absorb salt, which means they will retain their qualities longer.
Unusual Ways for Keeping Cucumbers Fresh
Besides the standard ways to store cucumbers, there are several original methods. You can check it out at home.
- Fresh vegetables are thoroughly washed, dried with a paper tissue. You should not leave even a drop of moisture. Then take the egg white and beat it well. Cover the vegetables with the beaten egg. When the egg white dries, it forms a film that protects the moisture from evaporating but allows air. This approach will allow you to prolong durability of cucumbers in the fridge.
- If you bought cucumber variety intended for salads, and vegetables have tails, try the following thing. Take a small jar of water, put the vegetables with their tails down and place it all in the refrigerator. By changing the water every day, you can extend the shelf life of the cucumbers.
- Pour a small amount of vinegar into the enamel, enough to cover the bottom. Place the grate in there. Put cucumbers on the grate (they should contact with vinegar) and cover the pan with a lid. The vinegar evaporates and creates a gas shell around the vegetables, preventing them from rotting process.
All You Ever Wanted to Know About Storing Cucumbers. FAQ
Fresh, crispy and full of water — it’s all about cucumbers. Many people love to take a bite of this vegetable in summer to refresh themselves and naturally, we are interested in keeping cucumbers fresh longer!
Let’s find out how to do it.
How Do You Store Cucumbers?
Cucumbers are best to be kept in a cool place, for example, in the fridge, cellar or pantry.
As they contain about 95 percent of water, these vegetables are very sensitive to any temperature changes. So when storing cucumbers at home, ensure the temperature in a storage place is not too dry and there is no excessive humidity.
How to Store Pickling Cucumbers?
Pickles’ shelf-life is really impressive: they can last for one or even two years if being kept under the right conditions!
What you need to do to be able to enjoy them for so long is simply to follow the storage instructions written on their can.
How to Store Cucumbers for a Long Term Use?
Normally, fresh cukes feel great at room temperature if there is a proper level of humidity of course. In this case, they can last for two weeks without a problem.
Freezing will not help to prolong their life as cucumbers don’t freeze well. Should you refrigerate cucumbers, they will remain fresh for about one week only.
How to Keep Cucumbers Crisp?
To achieve that, don’t wash your cucumbers before using them. Also, ensure the temperature and humidity level are proper in the storage room where you have cukes.
Where to store cucumbers?
It may surprise you, but cucumbers last the longest if being kept at room temperature! Of course, the proper temperature and humidity is a must. Under the right conditions, they can last for two weeks.
To compare with, in the fridge cukes will survive for seven days only.
Should cucumbers be refrigerated?
Well, only if you like cool cukes more. Otherwise, we would not advise you to do that as cucumbers will last much longer at the right room temperature.
How to Store English Cucumbers?
To preserve English cukes from spoiling and drying, wrap each cuke with a paper or a paper towel, then place them all into the plastic bag and refrigerate them. Easy peasy and works like magic! The paper cover will prevent cucumbers’ water from evaporating and they will remain crisp and fresh longer.
How to Tell If Cucumbers Gone Bad?
It’s very easy to define. Once cucumbers spoiled, they become soft and change their color (some yellowish and white dots may appear). So if you notice a slimy cucumber in your fridge, cast it away immediately!