Everyone who had to plan the design of their apartment or house knows how difficult it is to combine several types of patterns in one interior. But this isn’t a reason to completely abandon this idea.
We present you a small guide that will help you to deal with a variety of patterns and finally create the interior of your dream.
Before you start choosing the decor, think about what atmosphere you would like to create in the room?
So, floral prints give the interior femininity and tenderness. Animalistic prints are characteristic of eclecticism and glamor style, while the cage and strip reflect the conservative taste of the designer.
How to combine patterns
- Use at least three types of patterns in the interior, differing in size and severity. Use one large pattern, the second with medium-sized patterns, and the third with a small pattern.
- Use colors with the same degree of saturation. For example, don’t mix pastel and shades of a juicy berry palette in one interior.
- Try to evenly distribute the patterned elements throughout the room. They should not be concentrated in one place.
- Between the patterned elements, there should always be free space painted in one tone. Eyes need a place to relax.
- Avoid sharp contrasts. Patterns that differ from the background color by only a few tones look more elegant.
Style: traditional, formal and glamorous
Where to use: wallpaper, upholstery
Combined with: a thin strip, voluminous figures, and small floral ornaments.
Style: romantic, feminine
Where to use: wallpaper, curtains, bedspreads, sofa cushions, furniture upholstery
Combined with: strip, geometric ornament (cage, pea) of a similar color.
Style: playful, vintage
Where to use: sofa cushions and other accent elements
Combined with: stripe and floral patterns of a similar shade.
Style: Bohemian with a hint of formality
Where to use: curtains, sofa cushions, furniture upholstery
Combined with: herringbone pattern and strip
Style: large — bold and energetic, small — formal and traditional
Where to use: dosed on curtains and sofa cushions
Combine with: any patterns of well-matching shades.
Pattern «Tual de Jouy»
Style: Elegant, Classic
Where to use: wallpapers, pillows, bedspreads and other textiles
Combined with: a thin strip and «tartan». Does not tolerate neighborhood with floral ornaments
Style: Exotic, Naturalistic, Ethnic
Where to use: carpet, sofa cushions and other accent elements
Combined with: non-contrast strip
Style: modern, eclectic
Where to use: carpets, poufs, sofa cushions, decor
Compatible with: other graphic patterns
Style: Conservative, Classic
Where to use: curtains, bedspreads and other textiles
Combined with: floral ornaments.