Vodka is associated with Russia, feasts, and parties. This beverage is among the top-selling alcohol drinks in the world and the number of people increases who are interested in how vodka is made.
To satisfy their curiosity, we will uncover vodka ingredients and will answer the question: “How do they make vodka?”
What Is Vodka? A Bit Of History
This spirit is so widespread in bars all over the world! But what is its origin?
They say that this beverage came from Russia and Poland even though there are few historical documents proving that.
As for Poland, this liquor began to be produced starting from the Middle Ages and the first known mention of it is dated by 1405.
It’s funny but back then the spirit was used for medical purposes only!
In Russia, the beverage was first produced much later in the 14th century and for several hundreds of years, it remained quite low in alcohol.
With time, it nevertheless became more popular and in other countries, too.
Related: Does Wine Freeze?
How to Drink It Best?
Today this liquor, like Campari liquor, is mixed in various alcohol-containing drinks to make cocktails but traditionally, it is consumed purely as a shot.
Of course, it doesn’t mean one can’t sip it tasting, however, for the less harmful result, it is strongly advised to intake the beverage with some food and never intake it on the empty stomach!
Better make some snacks or proper food to accompany the spirit.
Also, to make the taste softer, freeze it before intaking.
How Is Vodka Made?
Vodka has become widespread in all the world. Today. it’s not a problem to find a bottle of this beverage in almost every pub, bar, or another establishment.
Is vodka an alcohol?
Definitely, it is! It is, in fact, a distilled clear alcoholic beverage that takes its origin from Poland and Russia.
Usually, the major ingredient in vodka is ethanol paired with water, however, sometimes the drink may have traces of flavorings or certain impurities.
What is vodka made of?
Traditionally, this beverage is produced from cereal grains, a bit more seldom-used ingredient is potatoes.
To describe briefly how to make vodka, we will say that these natural components are fermented first, then the liquid that is received from them is being distilled. Today, however, certain producers shifted to using other components that is why vodka made of fruits and sugar as the basic component is not a rare thing nowadays.
Because of vodka contents, it is one of the strongest beverages containing forty percent of alcohol. Probably, because of its strength, this beverage today is often consumed as a part of cocktails or mixed drinks even though originally it was intaken pure.
What Else Can Vodka Be Made From?
As we already mentioned, the main ingredient in vodka is ethanol and, in a bit smaller proportion, water. Component number two is often cereal grains or potatoes.
How is vodka made from potatoes?
In fact, the same way as this beverage is produced from grains, through the distillation process.
- To prepare vodka made of potatoes, clean off the dust and residue from them
- Cut veggies in cubes
- Boil for 20 min in seven gallons of water
- Mash potatoes and mix in more water to have the same 7 gallons of volume
- Heat the mash to 140 F stirring continuously
- Mix in five pounds of barley, crushed and malted
- After 20 min, raise the heat to 152 F and leave for sixty minutes
- Remember to stir regularly
- Make sure that gravity reading is at 1065 point. If not, add more sugar until the desired level is reached
But even after cooling down the mash, the process isn’t ended! The next stage is to ferment the product which will then have to be distilled!
As you can see, the procedure is quite time-consuming, especially for preparing the beverage at home.
No wonder that everyone prefers purchasing this drink rather than fussing with the preparation!
But vodka can be made from other components, too.
- One of the ingredients in vodka may be rye
- Wheat is also a widespread component
- The beet-based beverage is, probably, less common but it still exists on the market
- And finally, molasses is another component
In addition, modern producers choose to add fruits or sugar as a basic component which, in some way, adds certain peculiarity to the final product serving as a natural flavoring.
What’s So Dangerous In Vodka For Our Health?
However, even though vodka is consumed worldwide, people become more and more concerned about the harm it causes.
Indeed, when consumed uncontrollably, vodka may become a source of serious health problems!
- Vodka can make our fine-motor control worse
- It inhibits judgment and decreases coordination
- When intaken with painkillers, it may result in severe drunkness
- Since vodka contains alcohol, excessive consumption of it leads to alcoholism
- Finally, as a result, the beverage will harmfully affect the liver
No matter what ingredients of vodka are listed on the bottle, this beverage brings more harm than usefulness for people.
Is vodka made from potatoes safer, someone might ask? In fact, no since any sort of this drink contains a high level of alcohol.
Are There Any Useful Traits In This Beverage?
In fairness’ sake, let’s see what useful traits people claim this beverage has and try to figure out which of them are true.
- Since the drink is a natural disinfectant and antiseptic, it can be used for treating external wounds
- It’s claimed that vodka works as an anti-depressant. Indeed, like any alcoholic beverage, it lowers the emotional tension but the trick is that after some time, we get used to it and become addictive
- Vodka is believed to be good for the heart and blood flow. Indeed, it improves the blood circulation but it works more aggressively that the products that have the same effect (e.g. ginger root). And don’t forget about the poor liver that will have to manage all the alcohol we intake!
- It is believed that vodka calm toothache and that’s true.
- It lowers blood sugar level
As you can see, quite many of these qualities can be found in other safer products that don’t cause addiction with time, so think twice before starting to cure yourself with this alcoholic beverage on the regular basis.
How to Store Vodka?
To be sure that the liquor will keep its qualities, the optimal way is to store it correctly.
Hard liquors, for example, Kahlua liquor, (and vodka belongs to this group) are best to be kept at the normal temperature of the room.
Make sure that it’s not exposed to direct light and the place it’s kept is dry and cool enough.
That’s actually how they’re always stored in bars if you remember.
Of course, for cooling them, it’s OK to expose the bottle to the cold but it’s not a must for extending the lifespan of the beverage.
How to Define If The Beverage Gone Bad?
Naturally, a question may occur whether vodka tends to turn spoiled or bad.
Is it possible to get sick if we drink a shot of a bad spirit?
To calm you guys down, let us assure you that vodka is an extremely durable beverage.
An unsealed bottle is famous for having a literally indefinite lifespan!
The only “risk” of prolonged storage is that the liquor will most likely lose some of its taste but not significantly.
As for the chance of getting sick when sipping some old beverage, forget that nonsense!
You may be slightly disappointed with the taste since it will be less intensive, but no food poisoning is possible.
Use Of Vodka Nobody Knew About Before
To restore the “good name” of this beverage, let’s see how we can make use of it except for intaking.
- Vodka is a great cure for the poison ivy culprit
- It may serve as a laundry freshener!
- To make the bathtub fixture shine like stars, polish them with a few drops of vodka
- By the way, it also works as a repellent!
- To soothe a jellyfish sting, pour over a shot of vodka
- Clean away mold with this beverage on guard of the house cleanliness
- If it’s too long until the visit to the dentist and a tooth is aching badly, rinse it with vodka
How to Produce a Homemade Begerave Yourself?
And here it is, the most desired part for those who eager to try themselves in vodka-making!
Even though it may seem to be very easy, note that making this spirit at home will require your constant attention and regular checking of the drink’s state while it’s in the process of production.
To successfully complete the task, follow the suggested steps precisely:
- Pick up the ingredient the beverage will be made of. It may be grains, potatoes, fruits, sugar, or molasses. Remember that the basic ingredient must contain sugars or starches to be able to produce alcohol afterward.
- If potatoes or grains were chosen, additional enzymes will be required to boost the process of starch conversion into sugar. It doesn’t refer to the whole malted grains though.
- Now a mash must be prepared. For potato mash, take nine kilos of unpeeled clean veggies and boil them until they’re softened (approximately 60 min). Drain the liquid and mash the veggies, and then put them back adding 19-23 liters of H2O.
Blend thoroughly and heat to 66 C.
Finally, mix in 900 grams of crushed, malted barley and stir. Repeat stirring during the next two hours from time to time and keep the tank covered.
Let the mash cool overnight.
- The next step will be fermenting the alcohol. Strain the mash into the fermentation tank, mix in some yeast and disperse it evenly.
When the fermented liquid called wash will appear, collect it in a sanitized vessel.
- Then proceed to distillation. Using a still, heat the wash to vaporize alcohol.
Remember that the first portion of the distilled liquid is extremely toxic and fatal. So discard at least the first 60 ml of distilled alcohol.
- When the wash is heated to 100 C, it starts producing harmful liquid again, so discard that, too.
- Get your vodka through the carbon filter, dilute it to the desired strength, and bottle.
Done! The beverage is ready.
We hope you’ll reasonably use this alcoholic beverage since knowing the limit is always a good thing to have.
Since it may be a good fit for a party with friends, as an ingredient in cocktails to enhance their taste, intaking alcohol must always be under control.
We would not recommend using this beverage for medical purposes since there is plenty of other, safer, and less health-harmful ways of curing yourself of pain or inflammation. However, for external use, it could be a good option!
Consume it, if you do, reasonably and take care of yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
⭐Is vodka fermented?
Since the production of this spirit requires fermentation which means feeding natural sugars to yeast for the latter to produce alcohol, most sorts of vodka belong to the fermented beverages.
⭐Does vodka that is made from potatoes contain less alcohol?
No matter what product the beverage is produced with, its alcohol level must be no lower than forty percent (thirty-seven and a half percent for the European Union).
⭐How much time does it take to produce vodka?
The process of production is rather time-consuming since the beverage must be fermented and then distilled.
In general, the whole procedure takes three to five days until the spirit is ready.
⭐Is it possible to make this beverage at home?
It is indeed possible. Nevertheless, be ready to spend a lot of time producing it since the liquor requires constant attention!
Read next : Does Vodka Go Bad? 8 Tips You Should Know