Housewives know that using the cream of tartar is a great help when it is needed to make sure that certain products gain proper state.
However, not everyone knows how to keep this powder correctly, besides, many people often wonder: does cream of tartar expire?
Today you will learn about the shelf life of cream of tartar together with its storage nuances and other handy tips.
What Is Cream Of Tartar?
So what is this mysterious white powder that we have in our cupboards?
Well, in fact, the cream of tartar is a byproduct of winemaking! It is made of the tartaric acid that is formed on the walls of the wine barrels after the grapes ferment into wine.
Despite of its name, the product is not creamy, on the contrary, it looks like a white and dry fine powder.
Just like lemon or vinegar, cream of tartar is an acid and it is badly soluble in water.
Where and How to Use Cream of Tartar at Home
So how is this thing used and, actually, what for? That’s a good question!
In fact, the cream of tartar has a wide range of areas where it can be applied. The first and most popular sphere is cooking.
- It stabilizes egg whites increasing their volume
- It has the same effect on whipped cream
- The cream of tartar has an anti-baking effect
- It is a good thickener
- When added to sugar syrups, it protects them from crystallizing
- Also, the cream of tartar is protection for veggies when one boils them since it saves them from losing color
Sounds quite impressive, right? Some readers may be surprised but this powder that reminds baking soda is used not only in the kitchen!
What else does cream of tartar do?
- In the household, it works perfectly as a cleaning agent for different metals like brass, aluminum, and copper when being mixed with white vinegar or lemon juice into a paste
- When mixed with water, it will delete the stains from more gentle surfaces like porcelain, etc.
- Together with hydrogen peroxide, the cream of tartar works as a rust remover
In addition, it can be applied in cosmetics for dyeing hair together with some henna.
Is the cream of tartar safe to eat?
In fact, no. This product used to be taken inside for a certain period of time as a purgative but then it was found out that its consumption can lead to hyperkalemia which is dangerous to human life.
Who sells cream of tartar?
Anyone, in fact. This powder can be easily found in almost any store at the spices section.
Cream Of Tartar Shelf Life
Naturally, those who want to use this powder may be wondering: how long does cream of tartar last?
One important thing everyone must know about this product is that it is usable only until the first contact with moisture just like any powdered products in our kitchens.
So, to make sure that your magic powder will remain usable, keep it tightly closed in a good tank, preferably water and humidity-proof.
Since this product can be unsafe when consumed in its pure state, ensure that it is taken away and hidden so that children will not find it and taste.
As for the cream of tartar expiration, note several handy tips.
- This powdered product is quite durable and can be safely used within six months past its expiry date
- Whether it is opened or not, the product remains usable for half a year after it expires
- When noticing clumps inside the packet, break them. It doesn’t mean that it is off
How long can you keep the cream of tartar?
If it was not exposed to water or any other kind of moist, use it safely far past its expiry date.
How long does the cream of tartar keep its qualities?
Again, if it was not moistured, it will keep its potency until we use it all.
Of course, following the basic storage requirements is a must to make the product last to its longest.
How to Tell If Cream of Tartar Is Still Good
It may happen that one will suspect that the powder turned spoiled. Can cream of tartar go bad? Normally, it can’t unless we expose it to the moisture.
Anyway, there are several ways one can spot the expired cream of tartar.
- Many wet solid lumps tell that the product is off
- Any darkening or color changes mean that it was spoiled
- A lack of smell is another symptom
- Finally, if we see mold then it’s over
How to test the cream of tartar for potency? Take a half glass of warm water, add a half small spoon into it stirring properly, mix in a pinch of baking soda. If no foam will appear, then it is already useless.
Is the cream of tartar bad for you when used expired?
Many of us are afraid that, if they use the expired powder, they’ll get poisoned. Nonsense! Since the product is potent and usable being stored properly, it can be safely used for even years after its expiry date.
Cream of Tartar Side Effects
The cream of tartar is sometimes promoted as a strong means that can help you with almost anything regarding health. But beware! Consuming this powder too much has bad side effects.
- The powder is a strong diuretic which can be an unbearable load to the kidneys
- High level of it in the body can lead to serious heart problems and even cause a heart attack
- Overdose of the cream of tartar leads to the muscles weakness, cramping, and nausea
- Dehydration, paralysis, and low blood pressure are other signs of cream of tartar overdose
Be careful and better don’t take this powder pure.
And don’t worry, using it for cooking won’t make you any harm.
Take these tips and info into account and follow them to preserve the useful powder correctly. It’ll allow extending its lifespan and protecting yourself from any unpleasant side effects.